The Impact of City Living on our Skin
Waking up with healthy, glowing skin is the best way to start the day. A great complexion is a sign of a healthy body and healthy mind, but it can be difficult to achieve when you’re up against the ravages of city living. Stress, pollution, even the weather – they can all have an effect on the way your skin behaves, from rashes and dry patches to excess oiliness.
We spotted some interesting research this morning, which claims polluted urban air will make your skin age 10% faster than if you lived in the country. It’s a topic that we’ve discussed several times at Cloud 9 Skin Solutions HQ. We all know that cities are more polluted and this must have an impact on our skin and overall well-being. The latest research claims that the pollutants in city air damage the proteins in our skin, which are essential for protecting the skin from losing moisture and maintaining skin elasticity, therefore pollution could accelerate wrinkling and ageing. Along with ageing, pollution is often cited as a cause for allergies such as psoriasis, as it causes inflammation, which disrupts the skin’s barrier.
Throw in the challenges of air-conditioned office environments, mixed with central heating at home and this lack of humidity can adversely affect the skin’s moisture levels, while sudden changes from hot to cold have further negative impact.
Stress is another major factor of city living – long working hours, overcrowding and the general mayhem of day-to-day living. Our ability to cope with the effects of weather and pollution also plummets when stressed, making outbreaks of skin ailments common. With this is mind, the city-dwellers among us should be mindful and take even better care of our skin.
Of course there are fantastic benefits to living in a city and country living isn’t an option for many of us. So we’d recommend the following top tips to try and combat the impact of pollution and the stress of city living:
- Eat well – make sure your diet has plenty of fruit and vegetables and all those antioxidants, vitamin E and essential fatty acids will help combat some of the negative effects of city living
- Exercise – get the blood flowing to all your organs, to improve your skin
- Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum
- If you smoke, try and quit
- Drink lots of water to stay well hydrated
- Pay extra attention to your skin. Thoroughly cleanse your face day and night, using a mild and gentle cleanser. Follow this with a nourishing moisturiser. If your skin flares up, try Cloud 9 Skin Solutions Tranquility Ultra Soothing Cream, which relieves symptoms of city living such as extreme dryness and inflamed skin, whilst encouraging healthy skin regeneration
- Break outs are very common for city-dwellers. Make sure you have a good spot gel to hand, in case of emergency. We’re huge fans, of course, of Cloud 9 Skin Solutions Clarity Skin Clearing Spot Gel, which reduces inflammation, controls oil production and prevents spots from returning