We all know the beauty industry places youthfulness on a pedestal. It chases youth and disappointingly neglects anyone over 40. Trends come and go, and lean on the bold, daring and adventurous to set the bar. But, why can’t that be you?
Celebrating the natural process of ageing starts with you and your mindset. Beauty is supposed to transcend age milestones and encompass the ultimate form of self-expression – no matter how old you are!
So let’s celebrate ageless beauty. Here are our top tips to future proofing your skincare routine:
Illuminate your skin
Illuminated, healthy glowing skin is possible whatever your age with the right application. Occasionally, the full coverage or matte finish foundations and powders you use can highlight fine lines and wrinkles more.
According to makeup artist Glenn Bronwell, clear, “poreless” looking skin can be achieved at any age by “strategically layering multiple lightweight hydrating products.” From applying a hydrating moisturising face mask to applying a lightweight BB cream, the “glass skin” beauty trend can easily fit into your skincare routine.
Never forget to moisturise
Keeping your skin hydrated throughout the day is foundational to giving your skin the helping hand it needs to maintain collagen production. As you age, fine lines and wrinkles appear as the collagen that holds your skin fibres together break down. Your skin becomes thinner as a result, and the signs of ageing become more apparent.
Using products that are infused with collagen boosting vitamins like vitamin C or E, will encourage an increase in collagen production – making your skin cells more plump and making your skin glow as a result.
So each time you bath, shower or wash, make sure you moisturise. Your skin will feel softer and smoother, and you can avoid those fine lines for a bit longer.
Applying an antioxidant rich moisturiser like Good Night will nourish and soothe your skin as you sleep. Restoring collagen and preventing wrinkles, you’ll wake up to fresh, healthy looking skin.
Vibrant, bold shades are a breath of fresh air at any age. An instant mood changer, your lipstick colour to your newly styled locks will make you feel ready to take on the world, no matter what your circumstances are.
Daily life comes with many challenges. Anything from taking on a cold caller to having to placate your grumpy teenager, all add to the fun. Throw in a headache from work and a horrendous traffic jam, and your day is complete.
Coming home, the stress doesn’t go away. It affects your sleep, your mood and ultimately your self-confidence. Something needs to change.
Finding ways to de-stress are not only good for your mental health, but they can help you reconnect with loved ones and yourself. When you miss out on much needed restorative sleep because of your day to day, your body is having to fight harder to repair and restore muscles, and skin tissues.
Signs of ageing appear more rapidly when your body is stressed, so find a way to let it go. This could look like:
- Yoga & meditation: calming and good for your body and soul
- Get your heart pumping: great for enhancing your immune system and getting your blood pumping, exercise will not only help you to sleep better but it will boost your mood. So whether it’s running, swimming, HITT, walking or kayaking, find your mojo!
- Find a hobby: fitting in with the “do what makes you happy mantra,” hobbies are an escape from our daily norm
- Read a book: escaping to a different world, or experiencing events from someone else’s perspectives are life changing and affirming!
- Self care: having time in the day for yourself will instantly help you unwind. If that looks like a luxurious bubble bath or a massage, go for it!
Stress is more harmful than most of us realise. So do yourself a favour, and take a time out. You’ll thank us later!
Keep tabs on your diet and lifestyle
Diet and lifestyle choices often feel like limitations. They feel like hurdles that we don’t want to face, and ultimately, make us have to make harder choices than raiding our favourite cupboard each evening!
We don’t need to tell you that having a balanced, healthy diet is important. You already know. But, adjusting and adding a few of these to your diet will help give your skin all the nutrients it needs to maintain that healthy glow:
- Antioxidant rich foods: fighting free radicals to rebuild your damaged skin cells. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, goji berries, artichokes, curly kale, spinach, ginger, pecans – take your pick!
- Omega 3 rich foods: building blocks for healthy skin function and new collagen production – chia, flaxseed, walnuts, salmon, herring, sardines and other fatty fish
- Essential vitamins: crucial for a healthy immune system and boosting your body’s natural defences, as well as keeping everything from your teeth to cartilage, blood cells and skin cells in check – all found in a good range of fruit and veg! Simple!
Keeping up your water intake throughout the day, as well as maintaining good eating habits will undeniably future proof your skincare routine. It will give you the best foundation to achieving the ageless beauty look you want to achieve.
Beauty is not defined by age. Beauty is defined by self-expression and who you are. So let’s celebrate ageless beauty and give ourselves the mindset we need to flourish. Youthfulness after all, doesn’t last forever!